Monday, April 21, 2014

Intentional bread Lenten pledge

I know that you all all one of you have been biting your fingernails alllll morning, checking in checking in checking in about how our family's Lenten season went.  I actuality, here's a quick recap since my day-to-day happenings are not likely to be fresh on anyone's minds (ever). 

*We committed to make our own daily bread throughout Lent.
*This did not include cereal (though it could have).
*This did include bread-y items like crackers.

Frankly, this was the most purposeful, introspective Lenten season that I can remember.  I'm not so much one for "giving up" things during Lent just because that's what you're supposed to do (says society in general).  However, I do believe in the tenet that this is a season of austerity and intention, which does go well with a meaningful, individualized "giving up" action, even if the act isn't actually doing without but simply a change in behavior, which is more along the course of action for our family.

Do let it be known that this was not intended to be an act of helping my family "eat better" or "be healthier" or (ugh) "diet."  No, no.  We can do that any time of the year, and every so often, we do make a small change in our life that we believe is more in keeping with how we want to be and be in communication with others, and very literally speaking, with our Earth. 

Simply put, here are some thoughts that made the most impact with me not only for myself but in observation of the other three in the house.

*I adore making bread in any guise.  What I thought in advance might be an intentional chore that would border on problematic at times was never that.  There was, every time, an awareness of the chore rather than an element of drudgery or annoyance about it.  To this end, I think we did well.
*I missed the animal crackers and the loaves of French bread that I nearly always have on hand because that goes so well with soup, which we have often--at least once a week if not more.  I appreciated this "loss" from my normal routine, however.  It almost daily reminded me to seek patience and prudence over instant gratification and surplus.
*My girls never questioned the switch about the bread.  That surprised me, actually. 

Overall, I'm happy to report that our Lenten act was successful insofar as it achieved what we hoped it would.  Perhaps it's fitting that I made a rich, creamy batch of lemon kolaches as part of our family's Easter celebration yesterday.  Our oldest has alternately referred to them as "those round, yellow things" and "kolachos," and they were a sweet bit of bread to enjoy. 

As a last thought, I'll leave you with a happy visual.  Leo, our diabetic furball, is currently chasing his tail on our bed behind me.  He's turned into Mr. Frisky these last few weeks now that his blood sugar is back in line where it should be.  His time may be coming soon, but every day now, he is sharing with us a renewed joy and moments of unadulterated pleasure.  I'm a softie for the animals, I know, but the happiness in his eyes is so, so worth it.   

1 comment:

Fugitive said...

How did you know I was at the edge of my seat waiting to hear of your Lenten time? :) I enjoy making bread. I really like this idea; kudos to you for sticking to it!