Thursday, December 28, 2017

Feeling all the shades of grey

I never admitted this to our real estate agent but...

...one of the most attractive parts of the house that we bought was the grey slathered everywhere.  For me, this is zen-chocolate-happiness in textured wall form. 

Here's the shallow skinny: I love the color grey.  I have a hard time visualizing changes that I would make to a space.  So, when the grey is all up and everywhere, I see things.  Shiny things.  Pretty things.  Whispery moment things.

And the trim is all white.  ALL OF IT.

There's just so much warm fuzzies in the many shades of grey, especially the medium-ish, charcoal-ish ones.  Color me mellow and subdued.

But herein lies the greyge rub.  When we are furnituring a few nooks and crannies, my eye still draws itself to the greys.  All of the beautiful greys.  Greys are just delightfully homey and neutral.  And if I'm a'gonna put down a few hundo on a chair or loveseat ('cause I don't do used fabric things with other peoples' skin cells and pet hair and who knows what all stuck in the creases and crevices), then I am hesitant to commit to crazy color and patterns are my no-go-thanks-but-not-today.  Because I don't know how to do them.

My space is the very definition of greyge (which is, apparently, one of the terms that "kids these days" are saying...even when my very outfit is exactly what they're making fun of), and I'm all in.  Do come over.  I have tea and warm blankets (and wait until I write the sequel to this very exciting update about paint colors, all about how the upstairs is warmer than the downstairs...scintillating reading), and I have comfortable chit-chat at the ready.  Give grey a chance and let it wrap you in a warm, velvety hug.

Also, I am almost 1 week into my no-grading-for-all-of-winter-break respite, and the things I can do with my evenings...!!!
1.  read
2.  crosswords
3.  stare at my grey walls
4.  pet something soft
5.  watch as many episodes of TV shows that I've already seen before but am getting caught up in again
6.  luxuriate in the feeling of what nearly everyone else must feel on a regular basis

That's living large in greys-ville. 

No comments: