Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Wine & Canvas

Sometimes, you just need to go hang out with a friend. Last Friday, I grabbed a college pal, and we headed to Indy for a Wine & Canvas event, which is exactly what it sounds like. There's wine. There are canvases. You drink wine. You paint on the canvases. Whoever thought of this idea is really a genius. So much fun!!

The premise is that a bunch of adults (mostly female it turns out, not surprisingly) get together at a place that serves wine (or other drinks for that matter), and everyone (who follows directions) paints the same scene by following the instructor. So much fun just to sit and do something that had nothing to do with school, homework, cleaning, school, or homework. Crystal and I picked the event ahead of time that had the painting we wanted to do, which is an added bonus. Not surprisingly, neither of our paintings were particularly good though the techniques consisted of nothing more than slathering on the background color and then adding lines and circles. But, still fun!!



Crystal getting ready to paint. By the way, we shared an appetizer called shrimp cigars and they...were...divine. That alone made the drive to Indy worthwhile.



I say that everyone was supposed to have painted the same picture because of this. Notice the lady on the left. She sat directly to the right of me, and wouldn't stop talking about saving for retirement and for college while the instructor was trying to give directions. She worked ahead without waiting to find out what to do, decided she didn't like what she had done, covered over the whole thing with white, and then painted some random abstract grass/sky scene out of greens and yellows. I really took this picture just so I could get her canvas in the shot so that I had proof.



The lady to the left of Crystal was very nervous before we started painting. Her canvas turned out just fine, but I'm not sure she had that much fun. We did, though! When we got to the part doing the circles, I realized we had essentially stopped talking because we were both so engrossed in painting. Crystal is rinsing her paint brush in the water cup provided for that task. Before we started, we were warned about rinsing our brushes in our wine glasses. Being the goober that I am, I accidentally rinsed my paint brush in the small container of dip that came with the shrimp cigars. Still delicious.



This is my finished canvas. What do I do with it now?

1 comment:

Fugitive said...

Love the post! Thanks for putting up pictures. My painting is proudly displayed in the living room, where's yours? Have a good day!