Monday, April 16, 2012

This is where I draw the line

As a mom, I find myself often debating between the "cuddle with them while you can" mentality and the "they have to grow up and learn" point of view. Our little bugaboo is a daddy's girl, through and through. This has kind of made my waffling on the cuddle/let them cry issue a smidge harder because when I actually have the chance to cuddle with the munchkin, I want to. Well the tides have turned lately, and my sweetness has been seeking ME out more than normal, even at the expense of loving on daddy. 2 things are happening here concurrently to allow for such an anomaly to occur: 1) April is the month where Ben is never home because it's the heart of track season (case in point: yesterday was the only day out of last week and this week, including Fridays and Saturdays, where he did not/does not have a track meet and 2) our child is one very spurty--she'll go through a spurt about _________ regularly so that when one ends, a new one begins. A rare I-want-to-cuddle-with-Mommy stage has started right when I'm really her only option. In fact, I'd be willing to wager that "cuddle" is her #1 word right now, and she's perfectly healthy at the moment, so it's not an under the weather thing happening.

How can you turn down so much 2-year old loving?!? Here's how: at 2:54 a.m. when you're having a decent night's sleep after having a lousy night of sleep. At that point, I draw the line. Instead, she got a re-tuck, a quick kiss on the forehead and a very quick and definite NO, I'm not cuddling with you right now speech. Even then, there was that small part of me who was totally on the Ab-stigator's side, pulling for her, trying to talk my logical side into kneeling down on the floor so that I could get into prime cuddle position. And you know what, I hope that part of me never really goes away. Who wants to always be logical about warm, fuzzy moments?

I finally remembered and had time to write a new post about something. Lately, I've been coming up with lots of them at, just usually at inopportune moments, like 2:54 AM!!

No comments: