Sunday, February 17, 2013

Love for YHL

I don't remember how, but I recently came across the Young House Love blog by Sherry & John Petersik, which is in the list of those that I follow.  I've been reading it, ogling it, and drooling over it for a few weeks now.  It has literally whipped me into a DIY frenzy.  A few things are, unfortunately, posing something of a roadblock in my energetic-ness.

1.  I don't sew.  I don't like to sew.  I want to know how to sew only so far as I want to do projects that require some legit sewing skills.  The only reason that I took a class that taught sewing in junior high school was because it was also the elective that had cooking.  I'm sure that my mom still has my one and only sewing project tucked away with all of my other childhood trinkets and such that she kept from my formative years.  And get this...it was a sewing bag (I think). 

2.  The paint color that would best correspond with home makeover projects would best be termed "extravagance," an egregiously putrid shade of green.

3.  My children like me to play with them an awful lot, the needy little boogers.  Sometimes I can pass off the older one to an accomplice, but the younger one has the most endearing quality of reaching for me and giving me her I-love-my-mama eyes.

4.  I'm not such a big fan of cold weather, and I'm not such a big fan of doing things in a cold garage. 

5.  I'm pretty much inept at visualizing coolness.  (Now that I don't have 100 teenagers at my disposal, I'm not sure what I'm going to do for fashion advice.  True story.)  I very (very) much want someone to tell me what to do about my cabinets and baseboards, which are a certainly adequate and respectable shade of 1990s. 

Check the site out for the eye candy alone...the pictures they take are gorgeous and vibrant.  For a more decadent twist on house envy, try reading it with a mug of Starbucks salted caramel hot chocolate.  All around tasty. 

No comments: