Monday, January 19, 2015

See, I'm not the only one...

Exhibit A that I'm not the only one:  someone else publicly critiques a beloved children's book

Once upon a time, I offered up some thoughts on Curious George and some problems, admittedly outdated, therein.  I'd find it for you, but instead, I'll take a teacher's approach and encourage you on your own search & rescue mission (I wrote it sometime in the second half of 2011, I believe).  Talk about a children's literature series based on the Other and submission. 

I also just read a completely random blogger's take on why it is so hard to make "Mommy friends," except that what it boiled down to was that she was dismayed at how much she hated this unexpected new dimension of friendship that she had entered and how she clung to her established friends rather than encouraged new friendships.  It really wasn't about how hard it is to make those so-called "Mommy friends" and rather more of a whiny bit about this-is-so-haarrrd-and-I-don't-know-what-to-do-with-myself.  At least, that's what I took away from the piece.  I entered it with high hopes: Ah!  Someone can teach me the ways of the adult world!

No.

Plus, her perspective was overtly New York-ish, which seems to me as quite a different approach to daily living than a Midwest perspective.  I couldn't wholly relate.  Frankly, if I happened to cross paths with a mom in a library story time group who also happens to write for the Times, I rather believe that I would find myself to be a blathering waste of communicative potential.  I might even just try to snuggle with her, if only to have her skill set permeate some amount of my pores. 

Drastic measures.

My fellow mommy chatter tends to center on benign cultural mush.  Frozen, anyone?  Please...let it go (pun intended, but of course).

Surely, surely, I'm not the only one who craves some adult conversation from adults I come in contact with who also happen to be parents.  Where are the others who likewise find a significant amount of humor and interest in picking apart the bits and details of our children's favorite classics? 

Book club, anyone?  Next month, we'll be discussing the existential aspect of Clifford, the big red dog.  But please, do your reading first.

No comments: