Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Surprises, both welcome and un

I know that I have a sewer hook-up in my backyard, but surely there's some rule somewhere that they have to inform me *before* they come onto my property to dig up my yard. Seriously. Plus, it's a fenced-in yard. What if I had a dog outside? What if I kept my gate locked? What would the sewer people do then? I'm miffed, seriously seriously miffed. Furthermore, when I got home at 3 and called a calm lady about it, all of the workers were done working for the day. At 3?!?

And then a quick, unexpected, oops-I-forgot-to-fill-out-that-paperwork-about-my-retirement-fund-stuff-again, trip to my financial advisor (so that she could fill it out for me, not that I expected her to do that...but then again, maybe she trusts herself more; I do!), I realized that today is a lovely day to surprise myself and Ben with a DUNKIN' DONUT!! Kokomo is now a bustling metropolitan (that is losing jobs by the hundred) apparantly if we have TWO Starbucks and a brand new D D?? Now every time (right, like I'll stop by every day or something!) I stop by, I can fondly remember the trip to Cape Cod when all I craved the entire trip was a donut from the neon-colored donut shop, especially seeing as how there are oodles (and tons) of them everywhere out there! And just so I wasn't dissapointed, there were 2 cops getting their donuts and brew.

And for Sarah (instead of a quote), the recipe for my potato & leek soup, my vichyssoise.

2 T butter
3 leeks, white and light green parts only, chopped
1/2 c chopped onion
3 medium russet potatoes (but I was rebellious and used 4 med. yukon golds...mmm)
2 c chicken stock or broth
1 to 1 1/4 c half-and-half (I used milk)
3/4 t salt
1/4 t pepper
small handful of shredded mozzarella cheese

In a large soup pot over medium heat, melt butter. Add veggies and saute for 3 minutes. Add 1 c of the stock (I had to use 2 to get to the top of the veggies). Reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer, covered, until veggies are tender, about 15 minutes. Add more stoc, if necessary (hence why I added more). Transfer to a blender or food processor in batches and puree. HOWEVER, I left the last third unblended and it made the soup deliciously chunky, albeit not a traditional vichyssoise idea. Return to pot and add remaining stock, half-and-half, salt, pepper, and cheese. Simmer 5-10 minutes longer. Blend again for extra creaminess if desired. Delicious with chives, too.

Maybe next time I'll post my cheddar broccoli soup that is totally delish as well if someone requests it. It does turn your, ahem, poo green, howsoever.

1 comment:

sarahesperanza said...

I just made your soup! (well kinda... i didn't have leeks, so I substituted green onions, so I don't know if I can call it "potato leek" soup) It was fantastic! I made it in a crock pot and it was all ready (minus the blending part) when I got back from a run. It was perfect. Yay!!!