Tuesday, April 21, 2009

a week later...another negative Nelly rant

Okay, so there have been 2 labor classes now. I'm sure that every class has it's own personality, not unlike every one of my classes, but unfortunately, ours seems to be an obnoxious personality. Thanks boy A and boy B (who don't even deserve to be recognized via naming privileges) and the other handful of amazingly immature guys who want to make a joke out of everything, and frankly, often offensive jokes! The instructor could give them a withering look rather than egg them on. Their partners could hit them in the ribs instead of laughing the loudest. These two little 20-something BOYS couldn't scream stereotypes more than if they came right out and admitted their childishness and immaturity. Boy A is compensating clearly--short, stocky guy with grotesque forearm tattooes. It takes effort to slouch with such obvious insolence at birthing class! Boy B is no different from some of my freshmen boys other than he's heavier and taller than most 15-year olds. Seriously, must we play the "It wasn't me!!" game after every offensive comment was made? Seriously. Not that this class is loaded with normal people...of which, of course, I am one...but this clientele also makes me feel even more negative about public schools. I've never been a believer that everyone needs to go to college or whatever, but there is also a reason why stereotypes are so truthful. I don't want to teach the children who are being born to the parents in this class. If you can't even be serious about your own unborn child, how screwed up are they going to be when they reach high school? More importantly, I don't want my child to be around these children in school.

I'd be surprised if 1/3 of the couples in the class are married (15 couples). I'd be surprised if 1/3 of the couples are over the age of 21. It's seriously depressing to me to see so many couples but mostly women who are going to be in charge of brand new children. Not that Ben and I are ever saying that we're going to blow them out of the water, but they just seem so .... scarily unrealistic. Here's hoping that the actual emotional moment of birth becomes an epiphany of maturity, too.

There's at least a couple of teenager couples. At least the males are coming with their girlfriends. At least the girls are coming to learn what they need to know. Oh, lest I forget, a girl who I had in class a couple of years ago is in this class, too. That's understandably uncomfortable! I can't remember much about her at all, and no one can remember if she graduated. Here's hoping that she did!

Lest you were wondering...yes, I should be working on a paper. Yes, a draft is due tomorrow. No, I will not be able to work on it tomorrow, hence I must finish it tonight. You'd be dissapointed if I wasn't procrastinating.

Baseball rant...c'mon Braves! We started out 5-1 and now we lost 5 games in a row?!? What'swiththat???

Sidenote--we have graduated to a family car. No minivan for those of you who were secretly hoping that you could laugh at me about that. Never EVER. I drove one before and never more quote the Amy raven. Funny thing about that, we brought it home this weekend (so that we currently have 3 vehicles), and then my car wouldn't start yesterday morning. God has a humorous side, I'm convinced. And, it came with a crib and boxes of baby stuff already in it. That's a bargain!

"We are born charming, fresh and spontaneous and must be civilized before we are fit to participate in society." Judith Martin (Miss Manners) Apparantly Boy A and Boy B haven't yet figured this out.

No comments: