Monday, November 2, 2009

Facebook and my fear of losing my privacy

Really, this seems like an oxymoronic thing to say--being able to maintain privacy on Facebook. But thus far, I have felt more or less in control of my Facebook-iness. I'm learning to deal with my squeamish qualities, which has for a year and a half included going by my maiden name on Facebook though it is no longer my legal name. Why??? I fear what could happen when student/teacher barriers are crossed, regardless of whether students are graduated or not. I fear much. I look at other teachers, my husband included, and think...oh just hope and pray that nothing gets posted or suggested or egads anything!

But then I also began thinking, if other people, teachers included!, can live by their legal, married names, surely I can as well. I'm kind of a sucker and will pretty much accept anyone who friends me...oh, except for the 2 people who are languishing in the black hole of "will you accept my friend request?" on my profile right now. These two persons have been lurking for a couple of months now. I can't get up the nerve to deny them, though I'll never see them ever again (hopefully).

So I bit the proverbial bullet tonight and changed my name on Facebook. I'd like to be all cool like other wonderful women and say my maiden name in single quotes, but that just doesn't work out so well for me. You know what I'm saying.

And, while I'm being all radical, I even added my employment history...another step that I avoided until now in search of anonymity. But I also realize that there are many people out there who I could be virtual buddies with if only I would open up and learn to cuddle up with my insecurities instead of banishing them to the corner in hopes that they'll be ignored.

I feel reckless.

No comments: