Monday, August 23, 2010

Screw exercising!!!

I have come to the conclusion that I am entitled to not exercise. Nothing and no one can make me feel guilty any more about my lack of 30 minutes of moderate activity 5 times per week. (I assert this while sitting and eating a small to moderate amount of mint chocolate chip ice cream, albeit the "diet" kind.)

This rant is for the nurse at my old OB/Gyn who gave me a mini lecture and the evil eye when I said that I don't exercise. This is for the parenting magazine that claims no one is too busy to exercise. This is for the really dweebish looking pictures of beautifully groomed, clothed, and toned women who demonstrate how to exercise while standing at an immaculate sink of non-existent dishes. I defy you!

In reality, yes, you can be too busy to exercise. I say this because exercise would be my only "me" time, and at what cost? When I get a few minutes around 10:00 at night, knowing that I have to get up around 5:00 the next morning, I say screw it...it's not a priority. I'm realizing that no "me" time is more detrimental than selfish, within moderation of course. And, I go days now in a row where a quick peck as we leave in the morning and maybe at night before bed is the norm, where saying "I love you" becomes part of the routine after flossing and remembering to turn on the monitor.

I'm so ready to be done with this degree. I may not exercise any more then, but I'm fully prepared to again take on the guilt at that point, too.

No comments: