Sunday, November 16, 2014

Something interesting I read lately - 2 qualities of a successful relationship

I come across scads of "articles" about relationships--building strong foundations, knowing your partner, why you/your partner act as you/they do.  Typically, I don't pay much attention to them.  But sometimes, a legitimate bit of reading encourages me to take the time.  It also helps when I come across one on a Sunday afternoon while little ones are put away in their respective corners of the house.  This one was well worth the 10-minute read, no matter what stage of a relationship you are in (pre-relationship and I'm-not-expecting-to-ever-(again)-be-in-one both count because you never know). 

Cheers to the boy who does many more things right than wrong, to friends who are entering developing moments in their relationships, and to loved ones who have shaped their own relationships and in so doing have shaped my own.  Instead of reading my own lengthy blatherings about the article, just dig in to the good stuff.  (Find a relatively uninterrupted spot, a chocolate chip-y cookie, and a beverage that suits.  I highly recommend that part of the reading experience.)

And I'll tease you with this, my favorite line from the piece: "But among couples who not only endure, but live happily together for years and years, the spirit of kindness and generosity guides them forward."  It matters how you argue, perhaps even more so than you act the rest of the time. 

No comments: