Friday, January 29, 2016

This is where assuming gets us

A week or so ago, I came across this list of 10 or 11 tips to put on your radar to "make yourself happier this year."  Overall, it was a good list.  A fine list.  An eye-opening, why-didn't-I-think-of-that kind of list.  And numero uno on the list was DON'T THINK TOO MUCH INTO THINGS.  I'm paraphrasing, but that's what it was: DON'T THINK TOO MUCH INTO THINGS.  Maybe it was DON'T ASSUME. 

Wise words, no?

Why didn't I think of that?

Oh, I know why - 'cause that's what I do.  I mean, that's what I DO

It's my job, and it's my job to teach other people to do this. 

I mean, talk about having trouble leaving work at work.  This isn't one of those things where I can or can choose to not bring home a sheaf of paperwork to work on after the girls are in bed.  This is how I think all day long.

If there's one thing I'm good for around here, I can tell you definitively that I'm good for over-analyzing things. 

And I'd like to put that one the docket for "what to fix this year," but I don't really want to.  I don't really care about fixing it.  Instead, I'm realizing that rather than trying to fix myself, I'm every so much happier in just finding new coffee shops to try and doodling around on here.  So instead, I'll put that at the top of the list for the year.

I'd much rather appreciate a small bit like my kid can spell "buses," which frankly, is not one that I can spell consistently.  (It sure seems like it should be "busses," doesn't it?)  It's pretty great that the boy got home last night, and within 20 minutes, we had a babysitter and were heading out on an impromptu date night, which MAY or may not have involved a giant crab cake.  And the short stack of pancakes around here wanted pig tails today, which only makes her sweet cheeks all the more kissable.

I'm assuming that these are all good things.  I win that one. 

No comments: