Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Monopoly

Ben pulled Monopoly out of the closet-o-games a few days ago for whatever reason. It had been so long since either of us had played it that both of us needed a refresher course on the rules. It's really more complex than I remember it being. So we've "played" 3 games now...and I have been wholloped 3 times now. I haven't just been beaten, I have been beaten to a bloody pulp while cheating so that I would stay alive. That's just kicking a corpse while it's dead.

Inevitably, it ends the same way: I declare that I quit and Ben is left to play for both sides and then just trounce "me" with no remorse.

The last time that I played this, I'm sure it was when I played it with my older brother before either of us had summer jobs. I remember being bored enough that playing with each other was at least somewhat appealing. Those games always ended with the one of us being unhappy with losing and quitting unceremoniously (deja vu). My Monopoly skills have obvously not improved with age.

By the way...as I type this, Ben is currently playing himself times 4, i.e. there are 4 players in this game and he is controlling them all. Will he get mad at himself if he beats himself?

"There are always survivors at a massacre. Among the victors, if nowhere else." Lois McMaster Bujold

No comments: