Friday, June 6, 2008

My new little pretend garden

It's amazing to me how much I enjoy doing things now that I really rather disliked when I was growing up. My mom has quite a sizeable garden, and I wasn't always the biggest fan of going out and helping work in it. This isn't to say that I really worked all that hard in it a lot as it was. I did like walking in the dug up dirt during planting.

But growing flowers and veggies is actually fun! This realization led to 4 boards, a dug out area in a clay and lava rock patch and 20 bags of dirt. Now, I have quite a lovely little raised bed complete with various veggies that I used to not like but am now more often begrudgingly admittinging to be good. Fortunately, the upkeep isn't going to be all that much work, so I shouldn't come to dislike it. It's a little step but a worthwhile one.

"Part of the secret to life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside."
Mark Twain

No comments: