Sunday, April 6, 2008

What's that bird with the green head?

You may or may not know that Ben is a typical male at times. He's not really all that with it about flowers, for example. He knows what a rose is and he now knows what a daisy is (thanks to me), but other than that, he's a little on the lost side. And that's okay with me; I'm not big on getting gorgeous bouquets of expensive flowers that are only fodder for cat eating and subsequent cat puking.

Ben also sometimes has this same issue with birds. Personally, I thought that some birds are by default easier to identify than others. For example...the blackbird. I mean, how many black birds are there that sit in your yard and eat sunflower seeds? Not many. Granted, some blackbirds do have iridescent feathers around their head/back, but they are still BLACKbirds. Silly Ben. I'm supposed to add the disclaimer that this particular blackbird had a green (iridescent) head, so that made it confusing.

"I value my garden more for being full of blackbirds than of cherries, and very frankly give them fruit for their songs."
Joseph Addison

No comments: