Saturday, January 19, 2013

Our blue footed booby

This...

...is a blue footed booby.

This...
...(the one on the left) is our blue footed booby.

Two of my college besties spent the fall semester of my Junior year traveling abroad in Ecuador.  One of my favorite stories from their pirate adventures was hearing about the blue footed boobies.  (And as I'm sure that you're wondering, my other favorite story was about Lonesome George, RIP my tortoise friend.)

What is the point, you ask?  It is this.  Yesterday, Audrey woke up from a lengthy morning nap with BLUE feet.  This was one of the (mercifully) small handful of times since I've begun this parenting experience (which, now that I think about it, is something like a pirate's adventure, too...eh?) where I've had an adrenaline rushing, gasping, WHAT DO I DO?!?! moments.  It's not good to see that your child has two blue feet.  Understatement.

The thing is, just this past week, a teacher friend of mine and his wife began bringing their 16-month old daughter over to our house for a few hours in the afternoons, a couple of times a week.  Her mom had just left, and I had three car-seat-riding children in my house with two car seats.  The odds aren't good on that one.  I couldn't just load up my dynamic duo and scoot on over to the doctor's office.

A couple of calls and an office visit later, all is well.  A blue footed booby no more, Audrey's pudgy peds are pink again.  This mama is still a bit on the worried side, admittedly, so there are lots of piggy checks.  And we're hoping that she discontinues the resemblance to that bird, as cutey and precocious as it looks.   


3 comments:

Amy said...

I also want to note that if you put "blue feet" as the only symptom when you check into the doctor's office, then someone comes out and checks on you before you get to come back into a consultation room. You're welcome for the amusement...happy Friday.

Fugitive said...

Haha. I'm sure that your blue footed booby is even cuter than the avian variety. But I'm glad that she's pink and rosy again.

Amy said...

Admit it though--doesn't that particular bird look pretty kooky and fun? He's posing! I want to also take a second and point out that this particular post had something like three glaring punctuation/misspelling errors in it. Oy VEY!